Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Shake Shake

A popular topic around this time of year: What was the best album of 2012?

My answer to this question is hands down Boys and Girls by the Alabama Shakes.  Their debut album blew my mind the first time I heard it.  In April of 2012, I first heard their single: "Hold On".  Thinking it was a man with a feminine-like voice, I was instantly interested in what else this new band had to offer.  I heard "Hold On" about 5 times on WXRT before I decided to download their full album.  This was one of the greatest moments in my life.  The amazing blues yet rock sound this band was producing enticed me without avail.  I found that I couldn't bring myself to NOT listen to the album in its entirety.  Brittany Howard's relatable lyrics and clever guitar riffs have the ability to capture anyone's attention and appreciation.

Started in high school simply for the sake of making a band, the Alabama Shakes were a young, unknown band until their debut.  Since then, they have been making history across towns.  They've had acts all over America, including a 4:15 slot at the renowned Chicago music festival... Lollapalooza.  Unfortunately, there was a threatening storm force coming straight for downtown, leading to a evacuation and cancellation of the Alabama Shakes' performance time.  At this point, I was waiting backstage with my dad and friend Everett, and nearly collapsed to the ground when I heard the terrible news.  About 2 months before my birthday, a show in Chicago was released to the public... December 1, 2012 (my 18th birthday).  I was elated and got tickets ASAP.

When seeing the Alabama Shakes live, it's amazing to simply stand there and look at Howard.  She is so into the music that it's basically impossible for the entire audience to not get into it.  Her mouth has about a 6-inch diameter... something one could have guessed by listening to her music. I was utterly awestruck throughout their whole concert, leaving feeling like a different person.

My experience with the album and concert, I'd have to say that my two favorites are "Be Mine" and "You Ain't Alone".  The passion in both of these songs moves me every time I listen to them.  "Be Mine" could seem like a typical young girl yearning for the love of a boy, but I've found that there are so many other applications of the song.  It can truly relate to anyone going through a rough time with any kind of relationship (something most people face at least once in their life).  It's a tale of pain, something very clear on the whole album.  To be honest, before I saw them live, this song would not have made my top two, but the amazing emotion clearly portrayed Howard's struggle and the jam session that occurred at the end of this song moved my soul.  "You Ain't Alone" tuned me in immediately.  The slower tempo of the song creates a totally different side of the album, leaving one thinking about how versatile this new band really is.  The drumming in this song adds a peaceful idea in one's mood, but the lyrics are the main catch.  "If you're gonna cry//come on and cry with me" is an example of the message of this song.  The emotion is clearly pouring out of Howard during this whole song while she assures people that they're not the only ones dealing with life.  She's offering "her" condolences to her listeners, but in reality, she's informing people that there are always people there for them, even if it doesn't feel that way at the time.

Be Mine... Live at the Riviera (Dec 1, 2012)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6VifOrnkHA

Be Mine (recording)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZqdBQfUL0

You Ain't Alone Live (good quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HxNtWEIKhQ

Hang Loose (recording)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sSl11GMkMI



No comments:

Post a Comment