Sunday, November 25, 2012

Classroom Report

Who would have thought that a class that requires deep contemplation would become my favorite?  Not me, that's for sure.  When I first signed up for Philosophy, I had simply heard that it was a pretty decent class to take because good books were read and there weren't many tests.  This was the class that I was planning on sitting through for days, weeks, months, quarters and semesters.  As it turned out, that's not the case in the slightest.  Although we're still early in the year, Philosophy has already helped elongate my understanding of intellect's ideas as well as my own.
This has been made possible by discussions in class about the books that we're reading, etc.  Analyzing has always been a difficult process for me, and I've found that the way we go over it in class by learning some of the history of the philosophy before the ideas themselves has really helped with my analytical skills.  The only aspect I would change in the class is the amount of people that regularly participate.  I understand that it can be extremely difficult to speak one's mind in front of a class of 30 strangers, but that's one of the main points of philosophical thinking.  The more opinions and ideas that I come in contact with, the more I find myself learning.  I love having to think more about the issues discussed in class, I can't imagine how awesome it'd be if everyone contributed their thoughts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment